Spinach & Cheese Tart
This delectable thyme-scented tart is filled with spinach and three types of cheese: ricotta, feta and Swiss. Using a good quality, ready-made puff pastry ensures trouble-free, quick preparation time. This tart is also excellent served cold for picnics.
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese, chopped
1 1/4 cups dry breadcrumbs
7 ounces (220 g) spinach leaves, blanched, chopped and drained
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 sheets readymade puff pastry
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
2 or 3 firm ripe tomatoes sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F/230 C
2. Combine the ricotta, feta, breadcrumbs, spinach leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a bowl. Mix well.
3. Line the base and sides of an 8 inch (20 cm) tart tin with the puff pastry and prick the base with a fork.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pastry case, spreading the mixture evenly over the base.
5. Sprinkle with the grated Swiss cheese and cover with a single layer of tomato slices. Sprinkle the tomato with the sugar.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling and the pastry is golden.
7. Serve hot or at room temperature.
For the tart in the picture, the tomatoes were obviously omitted because they were mysteriously eaten before I set out to make supper. However, I highly suggest adding them as directed in the recipe.
As mentioned above, this tart is super scrumptious either hot or room temperature and is even more delicious eaten outside after a refreshing swim.