Shredded Potato Quesadilla with Cheese and Spinach
The great thing about quesadillas is their versatility. Any veggies or cheeses can be used. Feel free to play around with them; the combinations are endless.
- 6 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 8 potatoes, medium size
- 4 cup cheese, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 green chilli
- hing (asafoetida)
- Shred the potatoes coarsely. Press out excess water, place shredded potatoes in a cloth and "wring" them dry. Do not let the potatoes sit because they will turn brown.
- Heat oil in a 9 inch pan (nonstick works well). When hot (but not smoking), toss in less than 1 tablespoon ghee and a little hing and turmeric. Let them simmer for a moment and then add the potatoes. Spread the potatoes in the pan to make them flat like a pancake. Potatoes must cover the bottom but not too thick. Let them cook for a few minutes until a little browned then carefully turn over with a large spatula or two if needed.
- On one half of the potatoes spread ½ cup cheese (or to taste), 1oz. spinach and 2oz. tomatoes. Add as much chili as you like along with salt.
- Flip over the empty side to cover the filling and let cook a few minutes more until potatoes are tender and crispy and cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with sour cream or other sauces according to your taste.