Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter is one of those things that people either love or hate. But what about delicious peanut butter cookies? It's fairly easy to take almost any cookie recipe you find and change the ingredients to be vegetarian. This is a general recipe found in many cooking books, and instead of eggs and the usual, we found that yoghurt works just fine here. And peanut butter is generally a lovely ingredient to bake with.
If you want to get fancy you could press pieces of carob or chocolate into the tops of the cookies right after they come out of the oven. I did this recently with 1 inch heart-shaped pieces of chocolate, and the result was cute and delicious. However, plain peanut butter cookies are delicious enough on their own so give them a try.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
1/2 cup butter softened
1 1/2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
1 1/4 cups plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in before baking
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. I like to sift the ingredients together to make sure they combine evenly.
3. In a larger bowl combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and yoghurt. Mix either with a spoon, or in a mixer until well combined. Combine the dry mixture with the wet mix and stir until fully incorporated.
4. Make the dough into balls of about 1 1/4 inches in size. Roll the tops of the dough balls into the granulated sugar and place approximately 3 inches apart onto an ungreased baking tray.
5. Bake cookies until light brown, about 10 minutes and then remove from oven. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then remove carefully and place them on a wire rack to cool.