Ekadasi Cream of Broccoli Soup
This simple and delicious soup is great for Ekadasi or any other day and is very easy to make.
5 Medium potatoes
1 Bunch of broccoli
6 teaspoon butter
6 cup milk
1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into large cubes.
- Wash and chop the broccoli.
- In a 6-8 quart pot add the cut potatoes cubes and enough water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until they are tender, then add broccoli.
- Cook until the broccoli is tender but not mushy.
- Drain the potatoes and broccoli in a colander.
- In the pot that the potatoes are cooked in add the butter with the flame off for now.
- If you have a submersion blender, add all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- If you don’t have a submersion blender you can use a standard blender.
- In a blender add a small portion of the potatoes and broccoli and blend with enough milk to create a smooth consistency. Pour the blended mixture into the pot with butter.
- Depending on the size of your blender you may need to do this in a few stages. Also, depending on the size of and/or how starchy your potatoes are you may need to add more milk.
- Once all the potato mixture is blended, add it to the pot and turn the heat to medium/low. Add the salt and pepper and bring to a very low simmer.
- The potatoes will thicken the soup so you may want to add more milk at this point if the soup seems thick.