Curried Coconut Tofu
I first tried this recipe about one year ago and now find myself making it at least once a month! It is quick and easy with a wonderful flavor and a beautiful appearance. You can alter the vegetables as needed and increase the coconut milk to change the consistency of the dish.
- 1 package (about 14 ounces) Extra firm tofu (milk curd can also be used)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon hing
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup cut and cooked green beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut tofu in 8 diagonal pieces and set on a cookie sheet with a paper towel to let drain. Cover with another paper towel and a second cookie sheet. Place a 2-3 pound weight on top for thirty minutes.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan. Add hing, then tofu. Fry on each side until golden brown – about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine coconut milk, curry powder, and water in large saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and beans. Cover and cook for a few minutes, then add tofu.
- Cover and simmer for five minutes, then add salt and pepper.