Basic Carob Cupcakes
It's not simple to just convert a recipe for chocolate cupcakes to carob cupcakes because there isn't a direct chocolate-to-carob substitution. And baking cupcakes is different than making icing when it comes to adding carob powder. These are basic carob cupcakes that are lovely served with a simple icing, or can be topped with a rich butter icing and fruit if you want to dress them up a little.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 c milk, soymilk, or buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 cup carob powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease your muffin/cupcake tins.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add all wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until the batter is even and without any lumps.
- Fill each muffin cup to about 2/3 full. Bake until the cupcakes rise and become firm/crisp on the top, usually about 20-25 minutes depending on your oven.
- Let them cool completely before putting icing on top or it might melt. But don't let them dry out. It is best to cool them on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Put them on a sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to serve them, then ice them just before serving.